Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and this year we have a 13 wk old puppy to consider when planning our Holiday weekend. Here is what we have planned:
1) Wednesday late afternoon: a long hike with 2 and 4 footed friends so Melissa will be tired so I can bake in the evening.
2) In fact she will have several play sessions outdoors to tire her out every day of the Holiday weekend. A tired dog is a good dog. Melissa will be content to spend some time in her ex-pen with a bone while we eat dinner. We also have a new interactive toy for her.
3) We will make changes in our schedule to accommodate her. Her house training is coming along nicely, we don't want her to regress by leaving her confined for long periods of time. We will keep to her routine as much as possible.
4) No leftovers or table scraps for puppy Melissa. Few dogs who are given leftovers or who raid the trash come away with no ill effects, most have digestive upset. During the Holiday Season be most vigilant about cooked bones. They should be wrapped and disposed of in a sealed trash can that has a secure lid. Take the trash out to an area where your dog will not be tempted.
5) We will take advantage of this busy weekend to socialize Melissa. New people, new places, new sights and sounds.
6) We will also make sure she has some down time. Away from the hustle and bustle of the festivities. We want to socialize her, not overwhelm her.